NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:35:50 +1100
OK Erik, but you are wrong. See Below.
------------------------
Regards from brianF
===============

On 15/02/2011, at 2:03 PM, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

> Well Brian.:-) - I do fear that this on the long term might cause the death of NisusWriter for all of us, who donot want to be depending on what Apple decide to be useful for us. I could never dream of buying _anything_ through such a store - Apple AppStore or any other for that matter! - It would be fully alright, /if/ Apple reduced their influence to only guarantee that an app sold through AppStore would be fully working on this or thus system version.

You refer to 'all of us'. One thing I have noticed more and more on this list that it is becoming very inward-looking.
Mostly the same people are contributing as were here is 2000 or so. Not that that is a bad thing when it comes to developing macros, etc.
But the Apple World has expanded since then. It is a smart company - close to being the No.1 capitalised  company in the world.
It did not get there by sitting on its hands; it got there by innovation and product development.

One of these is by developing the way its products can be delivered to old and new customers. And those new customers are people who were not much more than ten years old in 2000. Most of us know what a typewriter was and how to use it. They only use portable devices.
The current crop of young ones want access to a far greater range of ideas and they, generally, believe they need it fairly quickly. Hence all the products which hang off a computer. Apple in particular.

> And - if what we hear in the press - is correct that Apple claims up to 30% of every copy sold through AppStore, it also will reduce the Nisus income with that 30%!

What's new about that? Go to the Nisus Forum where it is spelled out. See later.

Go to the Apple App Store or the iTunes Store - there are products there which are priced down to a single dollar and some much higher. That 30% is a figure which relieves the developer [often less than rich] to get his invention into a marketing place where customers can see it. No need to go through a separate website; no need for it to be spruicked on MacUpdate or VersionTracker or CNET, etc. who I assume make their money from those bloody adverts which shriek at you. Almost totally all the costs of distribution are born by Apple from the 30% and by us when we download. One-click and you have it installed.

Personally I am taking my time to get used to this, but for a new Apple user it will be a dream come true - instant arrival and less likelihood of files going to the wrong folder.

A developer cannot just load his wonder child in to the Store - thank goodness. Just imagine how much damage could be done to your system by a malevolent scammer.
Apple ensures the integrity of every product.

> We have already seen a few results and consequencies of this new policy from Apple here in Denmark... Our next-largest newspaper - House of Berlinske - has been denied to sell their iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch app through AppStore, and users of iPhone/iPad/iPodtouch are forbidden the use of the app, and if they do, the app will automatically be removed through next software update.

Do they not still have the ability to sell their Apps through other sources or is this strictly limited to the App Store?

> Reason? - House of Berlinske consist of two large newspapers - Berlinske Tidende - a very serious newspaper, and a more hm... 'boulevard-like' newspaper called B.T., which sometimes - infact nearly every day - shows one or more pin-ups... The chief of AppleDenmark said to the press that "We donot allow such things either sold nor used on our products". - So now House of Berlinske is forced to develop two independant apps for each newspaper. - The same has happened to our largest newspapers - Jyllandsposten and Politiken from the House of Jyllandsposten, because the Politiken also has a boulevard-like newspaper called Ekstrabladet.

That's good news. I suspect that Playboy may also be off-limits too. And the London 'Sun'.

> This is indeed  a severe reduction in freedom of expression rights!

Rubbish.
Your B.T. is not prevented from being printed; it is the method of its delivery which is affected.
Why did they wish to use an App? Because it is cheaper to publish electronically than to print pages of a newspaper which will not be read. I throw out more waste newspaper than I read only because I do not have a iPad or iPhone.

> And what will happen, if and when Apple suddenly decides that this or thus application - fx. NisusWriter, OpenOffice, Filemaker, Adobe CS, etx. - no longer will have the rights to be used on the Apple systems, because we no longer can buy these apps outside the AppStore?

Check the Nisus Forum for Martin's writings
     <http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4048>

Martin answers to the obvious direct question:
"We are working on getting Nisus Writer into the new Mac App Store.
"It's true that Apple does take a cut (developers keep 70%) but they provide some services for that, like the unified update mechanism. And of course, developers get access to a new market.

Again to the Question:
"But, Martin, will it remain possible in the feature to buy (an upgrade of) Nisus in the traditional way, or will Nisus become an 'App Store only' application?"

Martin:
"We will definitely continue to sell Nisus Writer (and updates) the traditional way, outside of the app store."

Me: What other developers do is their concern but I believe Nisus is doing its best for us.

Another question:
"I'm new to- and still testing Nisus Writer Pro. I'm considering to purchase it, but knowing that you're going to put it on the Mac App Store I wonder what to do, whether to postpone my purchase or not: many app owners had to buy their app again on the App Store, even at a discounted price, because Apple doesn't provide the store with coupon codes or such."

Martin replied:
"That's true- Apple unfortunately won't allow you to take an app you purchases outside the store, and then manage it from within the store (eg: for updates). On the other hand, Apple currently doesn't allow paid updates to be pushed through the store. "

> As things are looking now, this will end up in a totally closed and monopolic system that indeed is against not only the U.S. anti-trust law suite suites, but indeed also against nearly any law suite within the EU with associated countries - i.e. a restriction in our psersonal rights to use what we prefer.

Oh come on, Erik.
It has nothing to do with anti-trust laws. There is no restriction on what a person may wish to buy nor on where or from whom she/he may want to buy.

> Rumours already are spreading that this will happen already with the upcoming Lion system. - That one won't be able to install apps that aren't certified by Apple, - and that you won't be able to install _anyhthing, unless you have an internet connection, since information must be controlled and certified from Apple already in the installation procedures...

Ah, now we are geting to the bottom of this agrument - "Rumours..." or "it is said...".

Without Snow Leopard, even now, you cannot install many applications. OS X 10.6.6 is required for access to the Apps Store.

> /IF/ this happens - like it seems to do right now - I've bought my last Apple computer and system - That in spite that both the OS X and the hardware are so much better than any other on the market right now...!!

That's a pity, Erik, but we all got over the passing of the Apple II and OS 7-9 and Nisus Writer itself. Well some haven't but the majority have. As I found out recently, a pre-loved iMac, just below the current models, was a great purchase. Maybe in Denmark it not so easy with a smaller pool of Mac users, but continuous upgrading must continue for Apple and others - the difference is that with Apple, most of its latest Systems run on older machines compared to another company which, when it got around to issuing a new System required that a user had to update their computer.

> But I sure hope that Apple will be in possession of common sense before it gets that far!

Believe me, Apple the common sense to make sure it stays in business by giving its customers the best product it can.

> Cheers, Erik Richard

Cheers too, BrianF.
=======================
> Brian Ferguson wrote:
>> I have just looked at the Nisus Forum.
>>    <http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4048>
>> And, a version of Nisus for the Apple App Store is being worked
>> upon.
>> I rarely argue with Erik but not using the App Store for initial
>> sales and new users would be foolish from a corporate point of
>> view.
>> In fact, Nisus would be irresponsible not to adopt this approach
>> for getting a product into a selling area which will be read by
>> many, many current non-users of NWP.
>> On 14/02/2011, at 10:48 PM, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

[...]