NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:38:50 +0000
Thank you Kino, for those kind words.

When Apple introduced OS 10, Nisus would no longer work so I needed a word processor that would and Kino suggested LightWayText. This worked fine, but was complex and had an almost unintelligible manual. I wrote to the developer with a question, which was answered immediately. They explained that they wished to break into the Western market, but their manual was ridiculed without really assessing their program. I told them to improve the manual and offered to do it.

This should have been a simple task, but there was a factor that I had not thought of. The normal technical English I used was too complex for the Japanese developer to understand. What they wanted were their words in grammatically correct English.

I do not know how successful the LightWayText family of programs is worldwide, but I do know that it has been translated into several European languages - including Danish, thank you Erik. There is a PC version that allows files to be exchanged between Macs and PCs without any loss of feature, and there will soon be an app for the iPad too.

It would appear that the unusual appearance of their site may not be as ineffective as you think! However, please write to them with your comments.

Doug

Using OS 10.6.6, downloaded via Software Update.