NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:49:53 -0700
Doug, et al.

I too lament the loss of Nisus using plain text files-- I wish it
could have retained that, and put the formatting and graphics in
a .rtfd package or something.  That still wouldn't be as slick as the
original resource, but...

Anyhow, I think Gene's complaint is not that he can't open the file,
but has lost the option of having NWP open the classic files by
default or by choice in the list of options.

I am using OS 10.4.11, but don't have the same problem-- perhaps
because I installed and used Kino's fix described in his reply.  In
earlier versions of the OS, it allowed double clicking classic files
to be handled automatically.  Now that has broken, but apparently
still associates the files to something Nisus (classic or X version?)
so that NWP shows up in the list of choices in the finder Get-Info
window.  But the files now show AppleScript icons and double clicking
them opens them in AppleScript.

So my tactic currently is to append .nisus to the classic files, and
set the Finder (via the Get Info window) to open them with NWP.  It
has been and still is a painful mess, but I did discover I can search
for Classic files by putting "Paragon Concepts" in a Finder search.
You can see that in the Finder Get-Info window under "version", and
of course I can still drag the files to TextEdit or whatever to see
the raw text quickly.

So, it is an unfortunate result all the "progress" with less than
perfect solutions, but maybe this will help.  The challenge is
knowing how much of what you have and what you want to do with it.

Oops.  I may have written something a bit inaccurate.  I looked again
and noticed that NWP v 1.3 does not show up in the Finder Get-Info
choices-- only version 1.2, which I still seem to have installed.  So
the iterations and permutations grow!  As does my uncertainty of
exact details.  :-(

But Gene, I think if it works for your situation and needs, which may
require some reflection, appending something like .nisus to the file
names may work for you-- IF that will bring up the option to choose
NWP... or maybe it will take something else to trigger that?

For me, after setting to "apply to all"  they can still be opened by
Nisus Classic, or TextEdit as before-- but just not by default.  They
now show up with NWP icons and double clicking opens them with NWP.

Hope that helps,
	Ben Andrus