NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Brownie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:43:31 +1000
On Mon Jan 03 2011 11:27:09 GMT+1000 (PGT) Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:

> I have read many posts from people reporting not being able to start and/or run certain applications (Word and other Microsoft products come to mind) after they removed localizations so I have been reluctant to do this.
>
> When you remove Japanese localization, for example, will you then be able to read Japanese text documents and Japanese web pages in Safari afterwards?

Removing localisations only removes the local files for displaying
applications in those languages. It would not affect anything coming on
a web page.

I use Macaroni to run my maintenance tasks, and it has its own remove
localisations function. It deliberately ignores Adobe applications.
Microsoft doesn't have bundles in their 2004 Office, so they're not
removed.

>>   But in the end, a lot of disk space was freed up.
>
> How much free space did you gain? And how many localizations did you remove?

You gain a huge amount, at least hundreds of megabytes. For example,
removing everything except English and Finnish from Safari got me 23.54
megabytes, iTunes gave me 60.16 MB, Mac Help 17.88 MB, and even the
Mobile Me preference pane 2.46 MB. And that's just of things updated in
between the 10 November run and the 10 December run (a total of 335.16 MB).

John
--
John Brownie, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Summer Institute of Linguistics      | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.