NISUS Archives

March 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:59:31 +1100
Hi Doug

I bought the 2011 iLife, took one look at iPhoto, and sold the disk
on eBay!  :)

I scraped iPhoto v.9 (the 2011 iLife version) off my HD, and
reinstalled iPhoto v.8 from iLife 2009 (which I had to buy on eBay
since I had sold mine when I bought the 2011 one! Life gets teejus,
don't it?)

iPhoto v.8 is working perfectly on X.6.8. I use it in conjunction
with iPhoto Library Manager so I can have multiple libraries.

You can't open the v.9 libraries in v.8, but you can rescue all your
photos by going to the iPhoto library (or in my case, libraries) and
right clicking, then selecting 'Open Package Contents". You'll find
all your pix in folders.

The problem is that you lose any comments you've attached to the pix.
And of course, if you have moved to X.7.x and are planning to follow
the crazy trail to X.8.x, then maybe v.8 of iPhoto won't keep running.

I would emphatically advise against trying to use Aperture as a
substitute. It is iPhoto's big brother, allegedly a professional app.
It is very badly engineered, runs like treacle in a blizzard on
anything but the most powerful of computers, and as a professional
app . . . well, an upgrade is overdue and we all know what direction
Apple is moving in.

Adobe has just announced Lightroom 4 (which Aperture was competing
with) which has been received with glad cries by the multitude on the
DPReview forums. The price has been lowered considerably too,
obviously to compete with Aperture's move to the app store and the
drastic reduction of its price by about 70 percent.

Cheers, geoff