NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:25:04 +1100
WAS: Re: iText Express/Pro
--------

Yes please Erik, I would appreciate being sent copy of your most used fonts.

I assume it does not include the 100 or so which I recall you saying you loaded at start-up     ((-:

For a long time my favourite font was Apple Garamond, but as I get older I feel its strokes are becoming too narrow and I tend towards normal Garamond. I do not need to worry about font substitution by others.

When I first started writing anything for publication, many decades ago, I read a couple of articles on layout and the concept was quite clear:

a. when the text, such as a heading, was not expected to be read very carefully, use a san-serif font.
b. for serious printing, use a font with serifs.

I still try to go by these two rules.

How often do you merely glance at a heading, forget it and move on? All the time for me.

Why are advertisements written in san-serif? Because the advertisers do not expect anyone to read the fine-print. They may find out too much if they read the lot.

If there is one font-type I despair of, it is the san-serif where an uppercase 'L' comes out as '|' [shift-\ is the best I can do to illustrate] or  lower case 'i' is embedded/jammed between other letters. I find this is being written in Verdana Regular 13pt, not exactly sans-serif but quite readable.

This reminds me, I must disable 95% of my fonts.

Regards from brianF

On 10/01/2011, at 2:45 AM, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

> Hei Doug
>
> Doug Browne wrote:
>> Would you please tell me which is the easiest font to read. I generally use Gentium Book Basic, but I also use Didot.
>
> Huh... That's hard to say... I think this is somewhat individual for each person and how his eyes react on a given text font...

snipped