NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:14:29 +1100
At 12:48 PM +0100 14/02/11, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

>Yes, Papyrus stopped with the ver. 12.5.6 in
>2007, but they released a new probably German
>only Papyrus Office 2011 v. 17.0.2 dec.23 2010,
>so at least in German it's still alive.

They have told me that translation is their
problem, Erik. They seem to be nice people who
are willing to talk. How is your German? Maybe
you should give them a call.

>The other 'Big German' - RagTime is still
>around, but nearly only used for
>top-professional use nowadays.

It's very expensive; in fact, overpriced I would
say. And it is not really a WP, as NWP is, rather
a total office and publishing package so it is no
threat to NWP.

>MarinerWrite and MarinerCalc are also around.
>Latest ver of Write is now ver. 3.8 and
>something like ver. 5.6 for Calc. I know they
>are working on a brand new and totally rewritten
>cocoa version, but they want to do it right from
>the buttom.

Okay -- so they could threaten NWP/NWE's market
-- but only when they come out with their Cocoa
version.

>OK, there of course still are the three large
>compeditors - NeoOffice, OpenOffice and
>StarOffice. These three are doing great and as
>far as I'm aware of now have more than a 1/3 of
>the market totally seen on all platforms. I use
>the OpenOffice on both Mac and Windows and it's
>really great to know that no matter /where/ the
>docs are created they will always be the same no
>matter on which system you open and edit again.

Wow! I didn't think they had penetrated that far.
There is very low penetration in Australia, I
would say. Some years ago, I tried to get a bunch
of non-profits to adopt them rather than pay
squillions to Macrosith but to my amazement, they
wouldn't make the (slight) effort. Personally,
I'm not in love with the look and feel of them
although I have NeoOffice on board for specific.
non-WP tasks.

Warm regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business writer, editor, publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "SUCCESS IN STORE: how to start or buy a
retail business, enjoy running it and make money"
and receive a FREE 140 page guide to advertising
for small business: "How to make great ads for
(small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas
to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or
http://www.worsleypress.com