NISUS Archives

October 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:25:08 +0100
> On 22 Oct 2015, at 15:20, Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
> I am just about to be working to create indices. One particular question that I have is How to make several indices for a document, for example an index for author names, another for book titles, another for place names, etc.
[...]

Hello Nobumi,

In the document where you want more than one index:
1. Open the Index Styles pane from the Tools:Index:Configure Index Styles…
There is already one index style which is known as “Default Index”. You can change its name to “Authors”. Then for every additional index:
2. Press the “New” button and then in the Style name box give this style another name, like “Book Titles”.
Repeat step 2, and give this new style the name “Toponyms"
3. Close the pane.
These two new index styles you created will be identical to the style used for Authors in all respects. Only the name of the style is different.
4. Then in the Tooldrawer, under Reference Tools palette (In Additional palette groups), under Active style choose “Authors”. Use this as the active style when you are marking for indexing authors only. You can also make an index style active from the Tools:Index:Authors/Book Titles/Toponyms.
5. Use a word list of authors in two columns to mark the document for indexing authors when the “Authors” style is active.
When you want to mark for indexing book titles, make the "Book Title" style active for indexing book titles only.
When you want to mark for indexing toponyms, make the "Toponyms" style active for indexing Toponyms only.

When you use the Insert Index command while the “Authors” style is active, only “Authors" index will be inserted, and so on.

Best wishes,
Hamid