NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bob Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2011 02:22:28 -0700
>Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:
>
>I am intending to run Windows on the new iMac. Could you share your
>experience of running Windows on an Intel machine? What is the best
>combination? There are Parallels and WMware Fusion; which is the
>best now?

Kino-san uses Virtual Box, which is free.  You might try it before
purchasing Parallels or WMware Fusion.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

A helpful reference for $15 is Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac:
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/windows-on-mac

VMware paid the author to offer the Fusion book for free:
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/vmware-fusion-3

>For the migration of data and software, what would be the best way?

Your new Mac will include the program "Migration Assistant" in
/Applications/Utilities/.  It is perfect for migrating software and
user accounts.

For pure data, you can simply do a Finder copy.  However, aliases
will be broken.

If you defined multiple user accounts on your PowerMac G4, you should
define the same user accounts *in the same order*.  This will
minimize problems with migrated files being assigned to the wrong
owner on the new Mac.

>I have a PowerMac G5 at my office, and I have a Time Machine drive
>which backs up that machine. Can I use this Time Machine drive to
>migrate my data and applications to the new iMac?

If the hard drive of your PowerMac G4 is not corrupted, perhaps you
can borrow an empty external drive enclosure in which you can mount
the hard drive to connect it to your new Mac.   If you cannot borrow
an enclosure, you can purchase a Wiebe ComboDock or Newer Universal
Drive Adapter to connect the bare hard drive to your new Mac:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U2NV2SPATA/

Do you mean Time Capsule rather than Time Machine?  If you must make
an intermediate copy to your Time Capsule or Time Machine drive, make
that copy to a "sparse drive image" (not "sparse bundle drive image")
on the TC or TM drive.  You can use Disk Utility to create the drive
image.  Choose Format popup = Mac OS Extended Journaled.
--

Bob Stern