NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Igor Kramberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:38:09 +0100
Hi to all,

Simi wrote:

>  Mellel has a very loyal following
Indeed! :-)

>  Mellel takes a markedly different approach to styles management,
> one I believe that most NW types could find a bit restrictive.
Not anymore in such a crude way as in its early versions, but still complex.

>  It seems to have ongoing export and import compatibility challenges.
Yes and no. One has to use the RTF-option, not the Word-option, which
uses what is offered by Mac OS X .

And using complex options and features makes any such export fragile
-- there are often no equivalent options and features in the other
application (or are applied in a very different way).

>  On a completely different scale, Mellel never supported
> non-contiguous selection (I do not know whether that changed in the
> latest release)
Unfortunately, this is still true. The developers (and many users) do
not see any use for this -- I have written several e-mails to the
Redlers (developers) and sent some of them to the Mellel mailing
list, but to no avail.

>  and the UI, IMHO, is just not Macworthy
I must say that I appreciate it -- it looks somewhat like an iTunes
window; at least it is not obtrusive. And with the floating palettes
you can create, edit and format the document all the way until it is
finished.

It is just UI of NW, which seems to me to colorful and somewhat
cluttered. But, again, I just looked at NW/E and P, I did not ever
use any of them for a longer period of time.

With other words: we are all used to the appearance of the
applications we use most of the time.

Kind regards,

--
Igor
-----

Koro'ska cesta 63, SI-2000 Maribor
pri Tom'si'c, Ulica Toma Brejca 11 a, SI-1241 Kamnik

Slovenija, Evropa