NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:57:15 -0700
On 2011 Jan 5, Wed, at 11:26 pm, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>>> I certainly agree that the label coloring is way too busy bright
>>> and distracting!  Why is it Apple does so good, but stops just
>>> short of the mark?
>>>
>>> (…) Is Apple listening?  It seems not. (…)
>>> 	<end rant>
>>> 	Ben Andrus
>>>
> Ben, have you ever sent feedback to Apple? I think they provide
> feedback possibility on their Webpage.
>

> Žorvaršur
> _________________________

Oh yes, I have lost count of the time's I've given feedback.  I also
volunteered to beta test MacDraw, which was pretty much dropped...
and only partially compensated for in AppleWorks.  But I shouldn't
paint Apple as always unresponsive.  There was one time a couple
decades ago when I had direct personal contact (by telephone) with
one stalwart employee for a short time on a non-apple issue.  I
lamented to him how embarrassing it was that I was demonstrating Text-
to-Speech in TextEdit's predecessor TeachText.  It was the only
program at the time that offered ready access to speak and choose
voices.  But alas, friends were typing away stuff to hear it read,
and made some slip, and lost all the text.  Lo and behold, undo was
not implemented.  So much for that much-touted feature.  The fellow
remarked favorably indicating that he had complained himself within
Apple and it fell on deaf ears.  To my great relief, the next version
of the Apple OS had full undo in TeachText!  To my disappointment,
that fellow never had time/inclination to talk to me any more.

But more recent conversations with Apple tech while under warrantee/
AppleCare were met with folks who were not even able to comprehend my
inquiries, and were obviously not in the business of taking in
meaningful feedback.  Now I'm so far behind the leading edge with
what Apple is working on, its almost pointless.

Anyhow that has been my experience.  But more educated and
perceptive customers could in the main do much good.  But too many
anti-Apple decisions have been mandated from the top down in our
country, in big business, schools, and other government realms.  And
yet Apple keeps going and innovating and offering something better
than most anybody else.  It's just that a few little things could
improve it so much.

I have similar problem with Nisus.  Two or three little things
prevent me from daily use of NWP:  inability to fully and fluidly
share find strings with other cocoa apps, usurped triple click for
paragraphs, and to a lesser degree unpredictable addition of returns
(LF?) in the search string which then causes find failure.  Those are
the daily ones.  Then less often there's the lack of full control and
access to scaling etc of graphics on par with the Classic graphics
layer.  I see no signs of any of these changing at this point, or
have at least given up hoping so in my plans.  In its day, I used
Nisus Classic for all things textual.  I had hoped for the same in OS
X, but it never quite made it there.  It seems phones and iPods have
taken over!  And I have neither, nor use for either.  :-)

So I mostly use Text Edit— which would be totally unthinkable without
undo!  Now we even have multiple undo!  But why not a way to adjust
margins, display non-printing characters, and access to grep? :-(

At least that's how I see it.

	Ben Andrus