NISUS Archives

April 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 03:15:45 +0900
On 2011-04-28 [+0900 JST], at 10:43 PM, jem cabanes wrote:

> Kino,
>
> I find it completely right, and so I did as you ask.
>
> Let's hope children, and everybody, will be duly protected.
>
> jem cabanes

Thank you very much!!!

I'd like to comment on the following paragraph of the petition.

>> MEXT states that 20mSv/y is based on the recommendation Pub.109 by the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) as well as on the reference levels in the band of 1 to 20 mSv/y as "Post Emergency Situation" Standards from the ICRP statement released on March 21st. The latter means MEXT has adopted the maximum level.

In another ICRP publication "Application of the Commission’s Recommendations to the Protection of People Living in Long-term Contaminated Areas after a Nuclear Accident or a Radiation Emergency" <http://www.icrp.org/publication.asp?id=ICRP%20Publication%20111> (free download), we read: "The reference level for the optimisation of protection of people living in contaminated areas should be selected in the *lower* part of the 1–20 mSv/year band recommended in Publication 103 (ICRP, 2007) for the management of this category of exposure situations. Past experience has demonstrated that a typical value used for constraining the optimisation process in long-term post-acci20 dent situations is 1 mSv/year" (p. 11; it's me who emphasize).

The following sentence runs as "National authorities may take into account the prevailing circumstances, and also take advantage of the timing of the overall rehabilitation programme to adopt intermediate reference levels to improve the situation progressively" but the Japanese Government does NOTHING to improve the situation. Or worse. When Koriyama city in the Fukushima prefecture began to remove contaminated topsoil from school grounds <http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/26_19.html?play>, MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture,
Sports, Science and Technology) tried to discourage their attempt to improve the situation, saying something like "You don't need trying to remove topsoil from school grounds. It is safe for children to play and do gymnastics there with the radioactivity less than 3.8 micro Sv/h (= 20 mSv/year)" <http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20110428/k10015612671000.html> (in Japanese).

It is very sad to have such a barbarous government.

Another topic. Since 11th March, we get earthquakes very frequently. That's OK, yes OK unless one of them makes it difficult to stabilize the crippled Nuclear Plant or causes another accident to, for example, Hamaoka Nuclear Plant. All the other earthquakes are trivial, I think. However, I was very surprised to know that an earthquake happened just below my feet, 10 days ago.
<http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/20110419024040384-190237.html>
My apartment is situated at 35.5N, 139.6E exactly. No damage because the epicenter was very deep, fortunately.

Kino