NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:51:53 +1000
Thanks Nobumi for this excellent lesson on the various Libraries in OS X.

The more I read about Libraries, the more I am certain about is to NEVER fiddle about in them  - unless one is looking for a disaster.

Just accept that they are there for a purpose at too high a level for mere mortals.

(-:
Regards from brianF

On 19/08/2011, at 10:36 AM, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:

> Hello jem and Žorvaršur,

>>> This is new to me. What am I missing? I've always seen Applications on /HD/Applications, never on ~/Applications. And yet ~/Library is a pretty good use.
>>>
>> Since OS 10.4.11 and all the way till OS 10.6.8 there has always been ~/Applications on my computer. I think it is a pre-installed default folder for those applications you only want to install in your user account (and not for all users). This folder has an "A" on it, in other words, it does not look like a normal folder and because of this I am pretty sure that it was created by the installer and not by me.
>
> It seems your discussions are based on some inaccurate understanding. In OS 10 system (that is Unix system), there is no "/HD/Applications", and no "/Users/~/Applications". The first "/" in the path string stands for "root", that is the highest directory in the system hierarchy. It is the booting hard disk. The "Applications" folder which you find at the first level of your booting hard disk (along with "/System", "/Library" and "/Users") is "/Applications".

Snipped [only to save space]