NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ferren MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 16:07:34 -0800
Hi guys,

I have a problem.

Qur'an, for instance, does not really have an apostrophe in the middle, but, as I understand it, a hamza, which should look rather like a small 'c'. Character Viewer shows a 'high hamza', a 'c' with a little left tail, and although it claims that I have fonts that include the right glyph, none of them can be 'inserted with font'. I have faked it by using U+7580, which is literally a small high 'c', and while it looks OK in text in HTML, it will not appear if preceded by <li>, as in a table of contents.

Surely some of you who work with Arabic have solved this problem? I would like to get rid of the apostrophe, because for obscure reasons I have to keep switching between 'Educate Quotes' and 'Straighten Quotes' in Text Wrangler,
where I repair the dog's breakfast NWP produces when it exports HTML, and the fake hamza gets caught up in this and confused.

So, does anyone know how to get a hamza to work in an HTML5 list? (Rumor going back to Ubay ibn Kab claims that Mohammed pronounced Quran *without* the hamza, but I need at least one to show what I'm talking about.)

Happy New Year, and TIA.

Ferren
(Dr) Ferren MacIntyre
1 ch. des Echarts