NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:58:37 +0900
Hello,

I finally upgraded to Lion -- but it was a disaster for me. I did it three days ago, and it is only now that I could download my mails after that.

Not only many applications stop to work (among which the only one AppleScript based application that I created myself, and the DropScript applications that Kino wrote, which were very useful for me...!), but I had such a mess with my mails that I had to spend three days to find the solution and work to restore my lost mails (more than 20000 mails that I could find in my TimeMachine backup). But there are still many problems…, some that I will discover later, certainly, and others that I know now.

One is related to the new Mail file system. I have now in my ~/Library/Mail folder 3 folders:
Mail Lost+Found: 1.32 GB
[log in to unmask]: 8KB
V2: 22.13 GB

I am almost sure that my "[log in to unmask]" is not needed at all. I have not yet explored in my "Mail Lost+Found", but I think it is not currently used by Mail. It is surely in V2 folder that Mail has its files. But the amount of the mail folder doubled or tripled in my migration from Snow Leopard to Lion. For example, in my [log in to unmask], there are:

├── 767103E0-3452-43BF-BAF5-B39FF2A1F0E0
│   └── Data
│       └── 9
│           └── 7
│               └── 3
│                   └── Messages
│                       └── 379206.emlx
├── D8647286-06A9-4073-BA76-BD3CB918CE6F
│   └── Data
│       ├── 1
│       │   └── 3
│       │       └── 3
│       │           └── Messages
│       │               └── 331301.emlx
│       ├── 2
│       │   └── 9
│       │       └── 2
│       │           └── Messages
│       │               └── 292069.emlx
│       ├── 6
│       │   └── 2
│       │       └── 2
│       │           └── Messages
│       │               ├── 226765.emlx
│       │               └── 226766.emlx
│       └── 8
│           └── 2
│               └── 2
│                   └── Messages
│                       └── 228421.emlx
└── Info.plist

But in Mail.app, none of these is available. I could find the lost draft mail files in my archive, but I don't know where I can put them to restore them in my Mail.app…

Would anyone know how to deal with this situation.

I really want to see all my mails as they were before, and also, I want to delete mail folders which are not used by Mail.app.

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan