NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2011 17:09:30 +0900
Hello,

My main desktop machine, an old PowerMac G4, bought perhaps 10 years
ago, died completely one month ago. That machine had a chronic
problem of power supply, but at the last moment, it became so weak
that it was unable to drive the internal hard disk. It was a "belle
mort"...!

I spent this month using an iBook G4 (almost as old as the dead
machine), but I finally decided to buy a new iMac 21.5 inch, with
2.8GHz Quad core Intel Core i7, 8 GB of memory..., with a new printer
(a HP Envy 100). The printer arrived today, and iMac will arrive in
some days. I tried to set up the printer, but I discovered that its
driver works only with Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6 -- and as my iBook runs
10.4, I cannot use it now. I had not verified that -- how silly I
was...!

Does anyone use this HP Envy 100? Do you know how it works...?

I am intending to run Windows on the new iMac. Could you share your
experience of running Windows on an Intel machine? What is the best
combination? There are Parallels and WMware Fusion; which is the best
now?

For the migration of data and software, what would be the best way? I
have a PowerMac G5 at my office, and I have a Time Machine drive
which backs up that machine. Can I use this Time Machine drive to
migrate my data and applications to the new iMac?

Anyway, I think I will have difficult time to make my new machine a
usable environment. Would you have any advices for such a situation?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,