NISUS Archives

June 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 07:05:02 +0100
On 4 Jun 2012, at 05:46, Aller Spanninga wrote:

> This question is so basic it will probably be trampled underfoot by you veteran Nisus-stalwarts. But here goes, anyway: having dusted off a half-finished Dutch magazine contribution started some time ago I noticed NWP underlines most words in red. Hardly surprising: under Preferences - Languages, NWP is set to English (U.S.) and all my attempts to reset that default to another language have so far failed miserably, nor have I found any solace in the NWP User Manual on this matter. After selecting "Dutch" under Preferences -- Languages and ditto in the Spelling Window, that latter selection flips back to "English (U.S.)" right after the first 'correction'. This is how it works: the spell checker stops on the first (correctly spelt) Dutch word and offers to change it into … that very same Dutch word. Accept the offer and the checker promptly jumps to the next correctly spelt Dutch word but also snaps back to its "English (U.S.)" default. Re-select "Dutch" and accept the new non-change, then the language instantly flips back to "English (U.S.)" and so on and so forth. This is the junction where I grit my teeth and give up, muttering unprintables.

In NWP you can have as many languages as you want.
View the image on this page:
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3887
Languages available are shown in the left column. If a language you want to use is not available, press the '+' button and a list of languages will appear from which you can add languages.
Then for each language that you use, you have to set the corresponding spelling dictionary if it is not already set by default. Select the Dutch flag in the left column and make sure that in the right column at 'Spelling:' the menu shows 'Nederlands'.
Now any text in a NWP file to which the language 'Dutch' is applied will be checked by 'Nederlands' spell checker.

Hamid