NISUS Archives

October 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Farid Benfeghoul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2011 18:37:55 +0200
What we have here might just be two different quoting traditions: one
Anglo-Saxon or Anglo-American (see the Dictionary of foreign Terms by
O. Sylvester Mawson (ed. of Roget's International Thesaurus,Pocket
Edition, Bantam, 1961, p. 94) favorising «bonum» (see also the English
Wikipedia); the other, German (see. Büchmann's famous "Gefügelte
Worte", 34th ed., Frankfurt... 1981, 249b), favorising «bene» (see
also the German Wikipedia). This divergence is perhaps due to two
different translations, because the Latin is NOT the semantically
faithful translation of the Greek, but rather a modulation of it.
According to Büchmann's "Gefügelte Worte", the Greek original is «Tòn
tethnekóta mè kakologein» «Man soll von einem Toten nichts Schlechtes
reden» [one should say nothing bad of a dead]; the Latin translation
divergent variants of this sentence quoted by Buechmann.

So it seems that everybody may be happy with his version, for
everybody is right within his own tradition.

German-speaking may be interested in the following article:
http://www.onlinezeitung24.de/article/3545

Farid.