NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Alan Dow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 19:55:37 +1000
At 11:59 AM +0900 9/8/11, Philip Spaelti wrote:
>On 9. Aug 2011, at 11:01 , Robert B. Waltz wrote:
>
>>  I'll tell you why it's a mess: ANY character preceded by \ should
>>be treated as a literal, simply for consistency. I'm pretty sure
>>this does not work, because of the odd results I've been getting.
>>Unfortunately, I haven't yet identified the exact command causing
>>my problems, but it appears that, somehow, a \t is being treated as
>>a literal t!
>
>With all due respect what you are saying here is inconsistent. You
>want \[char] to be treated as a literal and then you complain when
>"\t" is treated as a literal "t" ;-)
>
>Of course "\" is the escape character which means that characters
>following it are usually treated in a non-literal way. Only special
>characters should (must) be treated literally after a backslash. NWP
>does indeed do this correctly, to my knowledge. And "\t" should of
>course be a tab, which it is. (And enclosing it in double quotes,
>should just cause interpolation, i.e., turn it into an actual tab,
>so this shouldn't cause a problem.)

Beg to differ: Nearly all regex engines use a plain dot to mean 'any
char except line break', and slash-dot to mean a literal full stop
(or if you like, period).
If Nisus have done this deliberately (which I doubt), they are
seriously out of step with convention.
See here: http://www.regular-expressions.info/refflavors.html

The idea of an escape sequence is implementation-specific. The idea
is to escape the usual meaning of a char
_within_your_program_environment_.
That can mean a usually literal char (such as t, b, n, r, s, ...)
acquires a special meaning when escaped. And if your program usually
applies a special meaning to a char (such as, maybe, <return>, '[',
'\', '?' and '.' ) escaping it will return the literal meaning.
Consistent this has never been (nor could it be).

..AD