NISUS Archives

June 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:55:48 +1000
Only 5000 places for Pi, Ferren? There's a bloke in England can
remember (no, not calculate) it to 20,000 places, so if you want to
test him you'll have to do better!  ;-)

In passing it to Foo, the question would be: Was Foo actually there? ;-)

In respect of Snow Leopard -- everyone should take Brian's advice and
upgrade to it. Here's why: X.6.3 is what OS X is actually supposed to
be.

Here's how I know: Canvas X, written to OS X carbon specs, was full
of bugs. Under OS X.6.3 it now runs practically bug-free despite
nothing having been changed in Canvas X for about 5 years because it
is no longer supported for Mac. Runs in Rosetta, of course. Clearly,
all those "Canvas X bugs" we used to complain about were actually OS
X bugs.

In fact, Apple virtually admits this saying OS X.6.x is the great
clean-up and stuff.

I bet the next version of NWP will be faster and whatnot because
compromises they had to put in to accommodate Apple's buggy OS can
now be eliminated.

On the other hand, the people at VM Fusion used to have a video up
explain about OS X -- and saying that far from being a pure,
purpose-built OS, it was a lash up of odds, sods and bits from the
leftovers bowl at the back of the fridge.

And, of course, we should bear in mind that Apple doesn't use its own
OS X text engine in Pages -- they gave it its own text engine. That
should tell us something.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all
business"  FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or
just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine
or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com