NISUS Archives

October 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Alan Dow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2011 14:18:37 +1100
At 9:17 AM +1100 7/10/11, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>============[snip]============
>I would suspect the notion of bring nice about the dead comes from
>the fear of spirits coming back for vengeance in early spirit
>worship, translated later into the notion of them sitting up there
>in heaven with the ear of the god person.
>
>But meu deus, I'm just a cynical animal!  :)
>
>Cheers, geoff

Hi Geoff,

I have long understood this as a simple extension of two principles:

(1) If you can't say something positive, say nothing.
(Criticism is worthless, unless you have a better idea, in which case
criticism is still worthless, and you should simply put forward the
better idea)

(2) Don't talk about someone behind his/her back
(ie when they are not around to defend themselves)

OTOH, perhaps we shouldn't ruin the fun for those fortunate enough to
occupy rocking chairs on the verandah overlooking the pearly gates,
as they gaze down on former friends and foes: "So that's what the
bastard really thought of me!!"