NISUS Archives

June 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:09:15 -0600
If you edit, it necessarily clears all selections, so I can't think
of any way to do exactly what you want.

My first thought was to change the selections to RED, but since they
are all non-printing characters, nothing would show!

Something else which would seem almost too tedious, would be to hold
the command key down to activate non-contiguous selection, and then
deselect all those which are as desired, then replace in selection
for the remaining ones.

Another option would be to have the macro do it step-wise and confirm
each one or undo the last one.  But that would likewise become very
tedious.

Similarly, since its a simple search and replace, you might consider
having the macro merely set up and do the first change, then
afterward, with the search/replace fields filled in, set command keys
for the commands "Replace then Find" and "Find Next".  Then you could
press keys for each instance, and when one goes awry, simply hit undo
and then continue.

What is called for would be an option to lock on selection highlights
that are no longer actual selections.  that is interesting and could
be useful once accustomed to it.  Maybe someone will think of a way
to accomplish that... maybe with a side effect of notes or
something?  There is already special highlighting for auto numbers,
index entries etc.  Maybe one of those could be set for the initial
selection and then cleared afterward?

Interesting challenge, though I don't see a direct solution with a
new feature...

	Ben Andrus