NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Alan & Elaine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2011 09:33:00 +0100
On 28 May 2011, at 09:09, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:

> I am intending to run Windows on the new iMac. Could you share your experience of running Windows on an Intel machine? What is the best combination? There are Parallels and WMware Fusion; which is the best now?

When I weighed the two alternative emulators a couple of years back, I decided for Fusion but there was not much to choose between them. I would say use whichever is cheaper. However,  what I use now is BootCamp (free). That limits me to either Mac or Windows, not both at the same time, but it had the big advantage (for me), that I have the full computing power in whatever system I am working in; with the emulators the power is divided between the host Mac system and the Windows emulator and the emulator does not run as seamlessly as the Boot/Camp-mounted Windows does. True, the emulators allow one to have both Apple and Microsoft apps running at the same time, but I do not find myself wanting that.

Hope this helps,
AlanD