NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Knut S. Vikør" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:24:31 +0100
I don't follow the field too closely, but try to keep a half-open eye for my particular interest, which is Arabic support. Papyrus never made that, but used to have a very funny bug where everything wrote apparently correctly, only backwards. Anyway, even that disappeared, also in the latest German, and it seems there is no development there.

Mellel is alive and kicking, and brings out new versions with some frequency, there was I think an update not too long ago. I didn't download it (Arabic worked fine in the previous), so I cannot say what novelties there were.

Mariner Write didn't do Unicode or Arabic, so of no interest to me. I do get Mariner ads through some non-filtered spams, but not recently for Write, I think? But lack of Unicode would indicate they are not working terribly hard on it. AbiWord could be an open-source alternative, but again, not for me (Arabic support is intended, but doesn't work), and again there does not seem to be much development in that community.

In this region of general word processors smaller than the Offices, bigger than Bean and iText, Nisus and Mellel seem to be it, as far as I can see.

Knut