NISUS Archives

June 2019

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2019 17:48:45 +0100
> On 4 Jun 2019, at 07:32, takamitsu Muraoka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I wonder if someone can help me out of this tight corner.
>
> By putting together seven files I'm trying to create a single composite file. All the seven are written in a similar style. No endnotes, but only footnotes.
>
> 1) In one case, when I copy the file and add to the composite file, all footnotes get lost.
> 2) In another case, footnotes are converted to endnotes.
> 3) In some other files footnotes have been incorporated into the main text in a smaller font as in the original.
> 4) In some files added to the composite file, NWP doesn't allow me to add footnotes or endnotes.
>
> Part of the explanation may be that some of the original files have been converted from the Word format and reconverted to the Nisus format. The first file was written more than a quarter of a century ago!
> Best wishes,
> Takamitsu MURAOKA

You can use the macro "Join files", originally written by Kino: https://nisus.com/pro/macros/browse.php?macro=JoinFiles

If you don’t want to use the macro, you could follow these steps:
(In any case make a backup of all the seven files before proceeding.)

1. Open file #1 and place the cursor at the end of its main text and add a Return or Page Break.
2. Open file #2 and drag and drop its proxy icon (from its window’s title bar) at the end of file #1 at the cursor.
3. Save the file as a new file which will eventually have the content of all the seven files.
4. Place the cursor at the end of the main text of the newly-saved file and add a Return or Page Break.
5. Open file #3 and drag and drop its proxy icon at the end of the new file at the cursor.
6. Repeat the process with the remaining four files to get the content of all the seven files in one document.

To convert any number of unwanted endnotes to footnotes select the entire final document, and from the Statusbar apply the (green) Footnote tag.

Hamid