NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Igor Kramberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:22:54 +0100
Hi to all,

Simi asked:

>  Do you know whether LO has strong multilingual capabilities, i.e.,
> rtl (Hebrew, Arabic, etal)? Footnoting? Powerful F/R?
I will answer in a reverse order:

-- there is an extension for more powerful Find / Replace: if it is
comparable with what we are used to use in NW (Classic or Pro), I can
not tell: I just found it today;

<http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenOfficeExtensions/List>
<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/AltSearch> but
I am not sure, if all of this is also possible for the R/L languages

-- footnotes / endnotes are possible, also commenting during reviewing

-- according to the Help (I have read the translation into Slovene)
you can enable suppoort for the complex language setup, this includes
R/L writing and composed characters (several parts are combined into
one character), currently supported languages are: Hindui, Thai,
Hebrew and Arabic -- I cannot use any of those languages, thus I
cannot judge the quality of this support (separately can be activated
support for Asian languages -- I assume for CJK).

I suggest to download the suite, read the Help and go through the
Preferences -- perhaps you will also need to enable something on the
level of Mac OS X: suite is reading some values from the system
settings.

HTH

Kind regards,

--
Igor
-----

Koro'ska cesta 63, SI-2000 Maribor
pri Tom'si'c, Ulica Toma Brejca 11 a, SI-1241 Kamnik

Slovenija, Evropa