NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 10:14:14 +0900
Hello Kino and others,

On May 20, 2011, at 4:05 AM, Kino wrote:

> And Nobumi will be pleased to find "Defining New Commands" (i.e.
> subroutine or function) in NWP macro reference.

Yes, I found it, and I am very pleased! -- although I am not yet good
enough in macros to make use of this feature. I would like to try
though.

And I saw that it is now possible, among other things, to manipulate
comments from within macros. This is something I wanted since long
time: I am not sure if this is possible, but perhaps with this
feature, it would be possible to "embed" macros in specific locations
of a documents, just as we used to be able to do in Classic Nisus
macros, using the "Invisible characters". You would select some
portion of a document to which a comment is attached, and choose a
macro manu (in Classic Nisus Writer I assigned "Option + Click" to
this macro menu, which was extremely convenient...!); this would read
the contents of the attached comment, and execute it as a macro. -- I
used to use Invisible Characters in Classic Nisus Writer to do this
kind of thing. I used these "invisible macros" almost always to make
links inside other documents, and jump to specific locations inside
these documents. Do you think such macro would be possible...? Of
course I am aware of the virtual danger in making such "invisible
embedded macros", but I think the advantage is important.

Some minor things that I still don't find in NWP 2.0:
1. the possibility of putting footnote/endnotes inside tables (when I
convert MS Word documents which have these notes inside tables, this
is very confusing, and complicated...);
2. the possibility of making tables larger than a page. Perhaps I am
wrong, but it seems to me that this is currently not possible. For
example, I have a rather long text, in its original language, and in
its translation, and I would like to present the original text and
the translation side by side, in a table of two columns. This is
possible if the text can be shown in one page, but if it is longer,
we have to make another table in a new page, etc., and this is very
inconvenient... Again, MS Word is able to do this.

And two *major* improvement that we, Japanese (or Chinese, etc.) need
desperately as soon as possible:
1. the possibility of vertical writing;
2. the possibility of putting "rubis" (glosses...).

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan