NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 30 May 2011 23:07:26 +0900
On 2011-05-30 [+0900 JST], at 10:37 PM, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:

> I have two questions that are of general interest to all of us who are not so good at writing macros yet. When you Kino write macros do you then usually start with PowerFind in order to see the bubbles which can be quite helpful or do you write everything from the beginning using PowerFind Pro only?

I type a PowerFind Pro expression directly.

> The second question is how to "translate" the above search into normal, PowerFind language. This part
> Find All '^\p{Upper}
>
> is clear, but why is it followed by [\P{Lower} since we are looking exclusively for uppercase paragraphs and not lowercase paragraphs?

\P{Lower} stands for \p{^Lower}, i.e. any character which is NOT a lowercase character. And [\P{Lower}&&[^\n]] means 'any lowercase character except LF (\n)'. Here, && is logical AND and is not supported in PowerFind.

> I guess the "*" in *$ means that options currently set in Find/Replace window should be used,

No.

> but what does $ mean here?

* is '0 or more times', $ is 'end of paragraph (excluding the final LF)'.

> Where in the manual are all these Grep characters?

I'm afraid some of the elements used in my expressions are not described in NWP's help. I'm using the manual of Oniguruma, regex library used in NWP, as a PowerFind Pro reference.
<http://www.geocities.co.jp/kosako3/oniguruma/doc/RE.txt>

Kino