NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Spaelti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 10:36:35 +0900
I don't think it's accurate to call NWP 2.0's handling of grep a "mess". If anything it is Nisus Writer Classic that was the mess. Nisus Writer Classic allowed a variety of characters as literals, which are usually meta-characters in most implementations of grep. My memory of such things is rusty, but "?" is the most obvious case (but I think also parentheses). This was "writer-friendly", since having common characters hijacked as meta-characters is a pain.
But the current implementation is much more standard (and I think it is handled by some external implementation. Kino knows more about this.)

If you have any other problems post them here.

best
Philip

On 9. Aug 2011, at 9:57 , Robert B. Waltz wrote:

> Philip Spaelti's suggestion (single quotes rather than double) solved the particular problem, but I'm having others (almost all dealing with metacharacters and regular text being confused -- this is clearly a MESS in NWP 2.0), so this is another useful trick to have in my collection. It will doubtless help me with the other headaches. Thanks for this.

Philip Spaelti