NISUS Archives

April 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:44:46 +1000
At 5:54 AM +0200 19/4/11, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>On 18.04.2011, at 16:46, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>  >
>>  When you double click and open the JPEG to
>>look at it, it doesn't get compressed again
>>when you close it, it stays the same.
>
>So my assumption was wrong then and my fear unsubstantiated.

Yes.

>I hardly make any image editing at all, the jpg
>photos I download from the Web are usually good
>enough for me, so what I have learned now from
>you is that as long as I don't edit them their
>quality will remain the same regardless of how
>many times I open and close them and how
>frequently I watch them in a slideshow.

That's right.

>I guess I should also abandon the habit of
>converting important jpg photos to PNG (which
>according to Wikipedia employs lossless data
>compression) because that does not make any
>sense in my case. Only if I want to *edit* them
>I should convert them to PNG or TIFF before I
>begin. If this is not correct then please
>correct me.

Makes life easier.

>  > PNG format? That's a web format. It is pretty
>stripped out but superior to JPEG in retaining
>transparency (JPEG makes transparent areas
>white). I'm not sure how iPhoto handles PNG.
>
>I thought PNG was good because it employs
>lossless data compression and the default format
>for screenshots in OS X is PNG, I think; the PNG
>files are also smaller than TIFF.

What is and is not the default format for
screenshots in OSX is very much up for grabs (as
a pun, this is a rather weak, but so often,
weaknesses are the triggers for love, so please
don't chide!).

If you take a screenshot with the keyboard shortcuts you can get two views:
*  The entire screen.
*  The front window.
BUT -- you can save only in PNG.

If you use the Grab app (Utilities folder) you can get four views:
*  The entire screen.
*  The window you choose.
*  A selection you define on screen.
*  Timed screen (i.e. you have a few seconds to
make changes like opening a menu or whatever).
BUT -- you can save only in TIFF.

If you use Preview to take a screenshot (File menu), you can get three views:
*  The entire screen.
*  The window you choose.
*  A selection you define on screen.
BUT  -- you can save in GIF, ICNS, JPEG, JPEG
2000, Microsoft BMP, Microsoft Icon, Open EXR,
PDF, Photoshop, PNG, TGA, TIFF, with PNG being
the default.

Strange, huh? In fact, borderline weird! Looks
like Apple is actually confused one way or
another (and another and another)!  :)

>  > I would store important photos in TIFF
>format. It's big but it works. There is
>non-lossy compression available.
>
>As long as I don't *edit* my jpg photos they can
>be kept in the original jpg format in iPhoto

Yes.

>for slightshows

Ebven for slide shows or light light shows (lumiere)

>, isn't it?

I do like the Fwench construction!  :D

Cheers, geoff