NISUS Archives

June 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:14:07 +0900
Hello,

I am sorry, this is again an OT message. Does anyone on this list use Dropbox for synchronizing your computers?

I am considering to use DropBox to synchronize my two computers, one at home and another at my work.

As DropBox allows only one folder to be synced (I have it at ~/Dropbox/), and as I don't want to change my directory structure which I am used to, I think the best would be to use symbolic links to reflect changes. I tried to read some reports on web on this kind of use of DropBox, but I am rather confused.

Some say that one should keep the original folder at the usual place in the directory structure, and make a symbolic link to it in the Dropbox folder, that is, for example:

~/Documents/myFolder/.... is the original, and
~/Dropbox/myFolder/ is the symbolic link file

And others say the contrary, that is:

~/Documents/myFolder/ is the symbolic link file, linked to
~/Dropbox/myFolder/....

It seems to me that the latter makes sense, but I am not sure.

But at the same time, I feel not very easy to use the symlink files in this way. Are they robust enough for this kind of use...?

If this works really well, I am considering to use this synchronization system, for my most important document files, my mail boxes, some of my most used applications preferences files and Application Support folders (including web browser bookmark files, etc.).

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,