NISUS Archives

October 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:55:26 -0600
On 2011 Oct 28, Fri, at 1:31 pm, Þorvarður Davíðsson wrote:
> On 28.10.2011, at 16:30, Robert B. Waltz wrote:
>
>> it might be worth investigating the save time. Take a big document
>> and save it in both formats, and time how long the save takes. I
>> would imagine the .zrtf format (which might well be rtf with zip
>> elements incorporated) will take significantly longer.
>
> Yes, I admit that’s a valid argument. Guess I will have to check
> that out.
>
> From the responses so far it seems that most list members still use
> RTF as a default saving format.

I use .rtfd because it keeps graphics such as .jpg .tiff .gif in
their unadulterated form that I can drag out or even edit by using
the finder Show Contents feature.  I can, and often do, drag out the
internal tex.rtf and use it that way.  I find it an effective way to
get rid of place-holder graphics that I can't locate otherwise! :-)
Of course .rtfd is Mac-only, but nothing can be perfect, it
seems! :-)  at least it's not a Nisus-only thing.

As for space savings with .zrtf, one could always archive the files
with a finder, but that is not so convenient.  What I would wish for
is that Nisus would simply do it that way on their own, so one could
change .zrtf to .zip, expand it, and have an rtf file identical to
one zipped by the finder...

but even Geoff Heard has moved on while I lag behind with old Apple
products that just don't die! :-) but it takes so long to learn all
the nuances and how to cope with new iphone-type stuff...

Ben Andrus