NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:52:23 +0900
On 2011-02-14 [+0900 JST], at 11:19 AM, Andrus wrote:

> On 2011 Feb 13, Sun, at 6:24 pm, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>
>> Barbara Nostrand <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> 	<snip>
>>> Is there a way to convince Nisus to use numerals with descenders and capital I for 1 for page numbers ??
>>
>> Pick a font with numerals with descenders, Barbara. But capital "I" for 1? I should hope not!  :)
> 	<snip>
>
> I would not disagree, but in looking at the options after my previous reply, I happened to notice that choosing the type-face Big Caslon made it look just about like capitol I, but shorter, to match the rest of the dwarfed numerals! :-)

I think traditionally it looks "I" or rather very close to small capital "I". In Minion Pro, Myriad Pro, and Skia, it is a *dwarfed* "1" but I tend to think it to be a rather recent invention. I could not find such a character shape in a few dozens of printed books I just looked at.
<http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/temp/OSF.gif>

> So, a simple type-face choice would not be nearly so offensive as changing actual character codes, as some of the wording might be construed, eh? :-)

While Georgia font has just a single set of digits, usually those old style figures -- or lower case numbers -- are available as an option, in addition to the default set of lining figures. In old Type 1 fonts, they were supplied by separate fonts often called "expert". Nowadays, some OpenType fonts -- mostly those called "Pro" -- and some AAT (Apple Advanced Typography) fonts have them as character shape variants embedded in a single font file. To access them and other kinds of variants, open Typography panel from the Fonts panel's action (gear) menu. As they are treated as something close to style attributes, you can change the character shape without altering the character code.

Didot font has old style figures too but I cannot enable it. It seems to be buggy in 10.6.x at least.

Kino