NISUS Archives

October 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:35:28 +1100
Further to my earlier reply to Philip, because changing the colour of the Page Guides is in Nisus Preferences, the change is universal so that both new and previous Nisus files, when opened, will be found to have the new guide colour. This is probably not wanted all the time.

This is because the Preferences>Appearance settings for Invisibles & Guides is shown under the heading 'Options that immediately affect all documents:' which is not the same as the top choice 'Options that take effect for new documents:'.

For projects which require consistency over a number of documents, the present arrangement of 'one size fits all' for Page Guide is workable, but where this is not so [such as using when editing old documents], they are not really a good idea.

Because the document I work on mostly was created when only Page Guides were available, I have found these useful for providing different Sections with an enclosing border.

For example, on one same page I have Sections 2 [Header and Footer, and text], and Sections 4, 5 and 6 [text with differing Styles, each having border created by Page Guides].

When I experimented, a Page Border went around Sections 4, 5 and 6 but ran through the Header and Footer. Of course I have not allowed for this border in the initial setup. Worth looking at in future?  Maybe.      (-:

Regards from brianF