NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:45:39 +1100
Hello Peter and Mike (and any lurkers in the area)

Have spent some time in a serious earthquake zone (Rabaul, Papua New
Guinea) as recently as last year, and being about to return to it in
a couple of weeks, I know a thing to two about quakes, although I
have never been in the middle of a disastrous one. I do know what it
is like to be in disasters, though -- bushfires in Australia in my
case.

Back in the day (the 1960s-70s) there were quite a few Kiwis in
Rabaul, and they used to joke about how they were attracted to Rabaul
by the earthquakes and volcanoes. Jokes like that don't sound funny
after what has happened to you in Christchurch.

All the very best to you and to everyone in Christchurch and NZ.

geoff