NISUS Archives

October 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Manfred Kropp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2011 09:27:04 +0200
Well, I think, in antiquity people translated,
and even very complicated philosophy, correctly,
between Greek and Latin for example. thus if we
have an adverb in Latin, there is an adverb in
Greek too (teh Greek original is not known).
The "bonum" is a miscitation (cf. the not
trustworthy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum)
  or deliberate alteration of
"de mortuis nil nisi bene".
Deliberate?: yes, because it changes the
imperative from "being just and fair" in "to be a
panegyric" (perhaps more fashionable and accepted
in our times).
msk