NISUS Archives

May 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 00:23:07 -0600
On 2010 Apr 30, Fri, at 11:13 am, Kino wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2010, at 5:08 AM, Andrus wrote:
>>> [\x00-\x1F&&[^\t\n\f]]|[\x7F-\x90]
>
> Sorry, Ben, the last \x90 is a typo of mine. It should be \x9F.
>
> Also, [\x00-\x1F\x7F-\x9F&&[^\t\n\f]] is simpler.
> _________________________

Thanks Kino San,

In my particular file (raw spreadsheet file), all three strings find
the same 2702 characters!
But in another case it will be good to have it more thorough and
simple.  Thanks!

~~~

Meanwhile, NWP 1.3 is irritating me.  Maybe I need to learn how to
cope with it.  Is it just me?

When I paste the find string in (if already set to PowerFind Pro) it
works fine.
Then I save the find string and give it a name (GremlinGrabber),
thinking all will be fine in the future.

However, since my normal mode is plain PowerFind, it ends up in that
setting, and even if I first set to PowerFind Pro before I select the
GremlinGrabber "saved string", it converts it with the extra back-
slashes as it does when switching from plain PowerFind to Pro.  Thus,
I have to copy the find string while in the PowerFind mode, switch to
Pro, and then paste in the find string.

I should think if I save a PowerFind Pro find string, it would be
able to set itself properly whenever I select that find string.  I
suppose this is a manifestation of the deficiency in NWP that it does
not properly or fully convert between the plain and Pro settings?

	<after a grueling verify session>

OK, it appears if I click find while in PowerFind Pro with a
corrupted or empty find string (which of course fails, and beeps)
before I select the find string from the saved expressions menu, then
it functions as I expect.  Additionally, I can switch to plain
PowerFind and back to Pro with no alteration of the string.  But, if
I click find while in plain PowerFind (which fails for incompatible
string) and then switch back to PowerFind Pro, it alters the string
(with extra back-slashes).

It presently appears that if I click find after switching to
PowerFind Pro, then (with empty field or all selected) select the
saved string, it works as expected.  It would seem to me something is
broke, but how to tell just what?  It seems there are some serious
loose ends here.  Perhaps it is related to the problem of occasional
errant return characters finding their way at the end of the find
string?  which has caused me plenty grief in the past!

Put another way-- if I click find in PowerFind Pro mode, and then
switch back and forth indefinitely, there is no alteration to the
string, whereas if I click find in the plain PowerFind mode, and
switch back and forth indefinitely, it adds more back-slashes each
cycle.

Is this a reproducible behavior for NWP, or is it perhaps isolated to
OS 10.4?

Sadly, I find I spend more time getting NWP to work in a predictable
manner than I spend actually using it.  :-(

	Ben Andrus