NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:30:58 +1100
At 4:47 AM +0100 15/02/11, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

>I have been looking at the Papyrus eventually
>for a Danish translation... And my German is
>about as good as my English, but not for a
>translation from German computer language into
>English - hardly from German to Danish. Computer
>expressions are so far from the English as
>Danish is from Greek..-)

But that's often the point, Erik -- learn some
terms and everything falls into place. Australia
offers a range of "professional English" courses
to skilled immigrants whose mother tongue is not
English. Or used to do.
the courses were only an hour or two a day for
some weeks. (They are expected to spend more than
an hour or two in private study, of course.)

>I wrote to my contact and asked why on earth
>they didn't either use OpenOffice or NisusWriter
>Pro for that work, but Pages? Huh! I've had so
>many problems making this translation that you
>won't belive it.

Apple talks a lot about Pages and Word
compatibility but there seems to be plenty of
evidence out there that Pages is not nearly as
compatible with Word as Apple seems to imply.

>>>OK, there of course still are the three large
>>>compeditors - NeoOffice, OpenOffice and
>>>StarOffice. These three are doing great and as
>>>far as I'm aware of now have more than a 1/3
>>>of the market totally seen on all platforms. I
>>>use the OpenOffice on both Mac and Windows...

I have NeoOffice on board. It differs in detail
from OpenOffice, and seems to work better for me.

I don't have Windows, of course. However, I have
just upgraded Parallels again with a view to
installing Windows so I can use one of those "go
anywhere" wireless Internet dongles when I am in
Papua New Guinea. They have a service which I am
told works quite well, but it only runs on
Windows. The joke is that there is a picture of a
MacBook on the dongle box!  :)

Intuitively, getting Windows installed so I can
go on the internet sounds like exactly the wrong
thing to do given the vulnerability of Windows
connections. I suppose I'll have to worry about a
firewall and whatnot.
sigh!

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard