NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 11:48:29 -0700
On 2012 Jan 1, Sun, at 1:14 am, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:

> On 01.01.2012, at 08:48, Anne Cuneo wrote:
>
>> I wish you all a good 2012
>
> Same to you Anne.
>

>> PS. This conversation started with a resounding «Guys», so I felt
>> a bit excluded.
>
> You are not excluded because "guys" refers to people of either sex,
> both men and women (see Dictionary.app).
>
> :-)
>
> Žorvaršur Davķšsson
>  OS X 10.6.8
>  MacBook Pro 17’'
_________________________

The dictionary and common usage condone the loose interpretation, but
I have long felt it a deterioration of language, made more poignant
by a contradictory trend in the opposite direction— that of
obliterating the broad meaning of "he" and "man" to include the whole
of man-kind, inducing the cumbersome use of such things as he/she,
reinventing words like chairman or horseman to chairperson and
horseperson.

So just because the dictionary or status quo say we can, doesn't mean
we should. :-)

	Ben in Montana