NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 09:59:32 +1100
Hiya Davo

At 12:03 PM +0100 01/01/11, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>On 30.12.2010, at 01:21, Brian Ferguson wrote:
>
>  >> 1) The startup process is very slow. I press
>the power button and Š nothing happens. After 7
>seconds I hear a low click and then a loud
>chime. It takes 55 seconds until I see the
>Desktop. I guess this is normal because I have
>500 GB hard disk and it is nearly full (I always
>try to keep about 20% free, now I have 50 GB
>available). Besides I am running MaxMenus which
>always need some time to load as well as a few
>menu bar applications. The Dock is also full (=
>86 applications and folders, is that perhaps too
>much?).

Might I suggest you try "Cocktail.app" -- very
low cost. You can use it to poke about and
straighten out all kinds of things. I have found
it very effective. it includes repair
permissions/repair disk -- I presume it uses Disk
Utility for that part of its work, but I don't
know. I start with that in Cocktail.app, then
slash about with the app, emptying caches and
whatnot (I actually don't understand most of what
I am doing, but it feels good), then I do the
repair permissions/repair disk thing again, then
restart the computer. Half of what I do probably
makes no difference, but it makes me feel as
though I have done something and that everything
is good as a result, and that's the main thing!
:D

When I say "smashing at things", just the other
day I discovered Cocktail.app had an option for
removing unused localizations. The little red
bloke with the pointy tail and the red hot poker
was whispering in my ear, so I told it to let
rip! It took about an hour and a half! But in the
end, a lot of disk space was freed up. It might
launch faster, I didn't time it. I should have.
But I was succumbing to temptation, not running a
reasoned experiment! Like eating chocolate.

>  > I haven't checked Permissions lately, but
>there was a time when a multitude of them were
>'repaired' only to return. As advised by others
>more knowledgeable than I, 'let it be'.
>
>I started up from another disk today and
>"repaired" them. As I ran Disk Utility
>immediately again afterwards they were all back
>again...

These would be the ones that don't matter,
according to Apple, I suspect. I've just learnt
to ignore them.

>  > No wonder it's slow. Far too little space; no, far too much garbage.
>>  I suggest you get an external FireWire HD and
>>transfer files to there and use it for backup.
>
>I guess I could transfer most of the videos, they take up 200 GB on disk.

I'm not sure how far I go along with the "too
much stuff on the HD" thing. These things are
designed to do the work! Yes, there must be
available space on the HD for the machine to
undertake work in, but apart from that, it should
be able to carry the load. With 500GB, I would be
looking at 50-100GB space, I suppose. But 50GB
should be plenty -- I haven't heard that the
machine wants a percentage of space, I've just
heard that it needs bit of space to work in.

On the other hand, I probably would be looking at
something like 70-80GB if I had a 500GB HD built
in. BUT -- what does Apple say about it?

I also remember fiddling with my wife's iMac back
couple of years. She does movies, and since I was
archiving material for her, I opened a couple of
movies in Final Cut Pro. it seems that you need
horrendous amounts of free space for Final Cut
Pro to work in.

I have to say I have 200GB in my MacBook, but it
is a 7200 rpm model, which is inherently faster
than the 5400 rpm models. Except that your bus is
much faster than mine. And so on! I have it
divided my HD into two partitions -- 60 GB for
the OS and a few bits and pieces, of which 17 GB
is free, and 140 GB for everything else (I call
it "Work", but being a Mac, it is really "Play",
of course!), of which 43 GB is currently free. I
was down to actually running out of space on the
Work partition, then dug around and found I had
duplicated my iPhoto libraries (I run multiple
libraries for multiple subjects using iPhoto
Buddy) in addition to having a few libraries
triplicated. I spent a happy hour or five making
sure the current libraries contain all the photos
I want in them, then binning the duplicates,
leading to the current plethora of open space. Of
course, those libaries are all backed up multiple
times on other HDs.

I still have the FW 500GB HD La Cie, designed
specifically for the Mac mini (same profile so
they make a neat stack -- but not at my place
because I don't have the Mac mini any longer)
sitting beside my 13" MacBook and plugged into
both FW and USB2 on the MacBook because in
addition to making a wonderful, near silent
auxiliary and b/u disk although well cooled, it
also provides extra sockets for both. Well worth
a look.

I have migrated to a pocket-sized WD USB2 500GB
HD for general back-up and for taking with me
when I go aroaming with the MacBook.

For back-up, I am using (on the advice of
someone(s) on this list) Carbon Copy Cloner which
is very good, easy enough for a mentally clapped
out old wreck like me to learn to use, and is
very economical to purchase too. I have divided
it into two partitions to match the partitions on
the main disk. I have proved it by setting up and
using a cloned start-up partition on the WD and
by swapping material back and forth among two
computes via it, so I can heartily recommend it.

>  >> I have been using Spell Catcher X 10.3.7
>(<http://www.rainmakerinc.com/>) for some time
>and I suspect this software to be responsible
>for some instability I have been experiencing
>lately.
>>>
>  >> Is anybody here using Spell Catcher X?

Tested Spell Catcher the other day. Can't see any
advantage over the standard OS X spell checker --
but then, I'm using only English (plus Motu and
Tok Pisin -- now in creole mode, c/f Pinker --
but nobody has dictionaries for them).

>I do. I was just testing Spell Catcher X and I
>wanted to see if it has changed much since I
>used it last time. I used it under System 7 and
>8.

>  > But better still, buy for UD$15 this PDF:
>>
>  > "Take Control of Exploring & Customising Snow
>Leopard from Take Control" from Tidbits.com.

That sounds like a good idea.

>  > Then follows a detailed method of setting-up
>your own internal spell checker, customised for
>your language too.
>
>I've always wanted to set up my own (Icelandic) spell checker. :-)

As long as you don't break the bank doing it! ;-)
(OT political comment: Hurrah for Iceland
refusing to accept the "Sovereign debt" crap to
bail out the mess made by a bunch of foreign
speculators who sh*t in the nest then flew the
coop when the lice infestation set in. Hang in
there! If everyone refuses to accept that
nonsense, the speculation will necessarily
collapse and we can get on with honest business
and government -- to say nothing of having secure
superannuation investments and something called
"a life".)

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online