NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ferren MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:49:24 -0800
Oops! There have been high winds in the Pyrenees lately; power goes off, street lights go out, internet sattelites get blown out of orbit, and the water goes out too. Nisus mail gets put into Spam, and I had 116 entries to sort, and I answered the wrong one first. But thanks to Knut I think I have hamza and ayn sorted out, as long as I can tell from what I am reading which one I need. I am impressed by anyone who can even transliterate Arabic! Beautiful for calligraphy, no question there, but ambiguous to read even in type, and half guesswork in script?

Cheers,

Ferren
===================
(Dr) Ferren MacIntyre
1 ch. des Echarts
Campagne sur Aude
11260 France
+33 (0) 468 748870
===================
MacBook Pro 5,1; 2.4GHz, 4GB
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

 Den 4. jan. 2012 kl. 01:07 skrev Ferren MacIntyre:

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have a problem.
>>
>> Qur'an, for instance, does not really have an apostrophe in the middle,
>> but, as I understand it, a hamza, which should look rather like a small
>> 'c'.
>
> A reversed small c superscript; the right-way c is used for 'ayn, a
> different character.
>
> Knut
> (see also http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/diacs.html )

Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1