MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:53:13 -0500
How can I scriptically direct a Quark 6.x Get Picture... dialog to point to
a particular PDF file? Since it's a PDF I can't just say "set image 1 of
picture box 1 of ..." because I need the "PDF Page:" text box at the bottom
of the dialog to specify which page I want.

I thought that maybe setting the preference with a Mac OS X "defaults write
com.quark.QuarkXPress AppleNavServices:GetFile:0:Path
/the/path/to/myfile.pdf" command would do it, but that just selects the
containing folder "/the/path/to", not the PDF file itself.

Since I do get as far as the containing folder, I thought that UI scripting
would work from there, and in fact I'm able to determine the screen
coordinates of the file I want, even after scrolling if necessary, but
clicking there doesn't seem to take effect at all (and I'm sure I'm
clicking at the correct coordinates since I'm controlling the scroll bars
okay).

In short, I guess I'm just asking how to insert a particular page from a
PDF file into a picture box, but this is the only feasible approach I could
come up with.

Thanks very much for any advice.

- Dan