MACSCRPT Archives

March 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Bob R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:53:52 -0500
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:36:45 -0500, Gary (Lists) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>"Bob R." wrote:
>
>> It looks like it only saves a pointer to the PDF file.  How do I script i
>> nserting a PDF into FM and
>> keeping the PDF embedded into the FM file?
>
>Bob, IIRC, you can only store actual files (binary data) in FM7 and 8.
>
>There are hackish ways to do that in FM4-6, which require spoofing headers
>to confuse FM into thinking it is retaining a PICT file.  I don't really
>think that is useful as a practical tool, although it does work.
>
>In FM<7, I think the "best" way to manage file archives like that is to
>always keep a required folder (holding your PDFs) alongside the FM file(s)
>in your file set.
>
>Then, inserting by reference is stable to retrieve the file later.
>
>Often, a small 'thumb' of the document is useful in the user interface. In
>that case, what I used to do in FM<7 was to produce (via AppleScript) an
>image of the front page of the PDF, and then insert that into the FM file.
>This allows "book cover"-like browsing and simulates the file "being there".
>
>Please note that I might be mis-remembering that FM 6 will not store PDF, a
>limitation that might have ended with FM 5.
>
>HTH
>--
>Gary

Gary,

I have an existing FM6 file that is 32 mb in size and has the PDF files in it.  I can open the file
independent of any folder of the PDF files.  These files were inserted manually in FM6 using the
Insert Picture command.  My problem is, when I use an Applescript to do this in the form of
inserting the file path string, the FM6 file does not grow in size...it is the same as before I scripted
the PDF files into it, even after saving a copy of the FM file.  It can be done manually....but for now
I cannot script the process.   I am thinking of using a Filemaker script in conjunction with
Applescript to do this.  Any help appreciated.  Bob.