MACSCRPT Archives

March 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Stan Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:37:36 -0700
On 3/20/09 12:09 PM, "Mark J. Reed" wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Stockly, Ed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> That means that this project is doomed to failure in those 42 cases - unless
>> Ed is prepared to check for every locality in those 42 zip codes -
>>
>> I could use the first 4 digits.
>
> Wouldn't help; we're talking about the full 5 digits, not just the
> three-digit prefix.  There are 42 five-digit ZIP codes that cross
> state lines.    The code should probably flag those somehow.

In those 42 cases, surely the Post Office itself doesn't straddle a state
boundary. Why not use the state in which the Post Office building sits? For
example, 99362's building is in Walla Walla, Washington, though it serves
some rural areas in Oregon. One could additionally flag it as a dual-state
zip code, if desired.

Stan C.