MACSCRPT Archives

May 2003

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bruce Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 07:44:43 -0700
> At 09:35p -0700 05/29/2003, Bruce Robertson didst inscribe upon an
> electronic papyrus:
>
>> That's why I've had to create helper applications. The Filemaker report
>> generator file must pass an instruction to the helper application. Yoohoo
>> Mr. HelperApp! tell document "Contacts.fp5" to find, then tell ME to
>> continue running my script.
>
> I haven't tried it, but can't you use an embedded AS script to run
> the 'find' command? I know FMP 3 couldn't send events to itself, but
> 6 can, right?
>
> Just a thought.

No. I've already gone over that, and explained exactly why it doesn't work.

Let me repeat:

The applescript "Find" command, when issued from an external source
(Facespan, applescript app, etc.) WILL cause the find to be performed.

FileMaker can send many applescript commands to itself, quite successfully.
But NOT the Find command. It only puts the target file in Find mode. The
applescript stops execution at that point.