LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:23:08 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:34:38 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6315 Copying Audio Cassettes
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
We use Puntos, too, and several other McGraw-Hill language texts. The older
McGraw-Hill audioscripts (issued to the language labs with tape sets) had a
form giving the labs rights to digitize and/or copy and distribute the
tapes freely for students who use the textbook. You just signed the form,
agreeing that the materials would not be distributed for profit or outside
the textbook-buying populace of your college. They also allowed some
copying of videos, in-lab networking of CD-Roms, etc.

Since they make their money by selling the expensive textbooks with the
one-use-only lab manuals, it makes sense for them to farm out the copying
of bulky, troublesome tapes to language labs. A Puntos package with all the
goodies costs something like $140; but the student gets the audio "free"
from us.

The new audioscripts (e.g. Puntos 6th edition) don't have this, I think
perhaps because the company is trying to move towards selling CDs bundled
with the books and/or lab manuals on CD-ROM. CDs are of course cheaper,
less bulky, and easier to reproduce accurately, and some of the courses are
happy with the bundled CDs. However, we are still getting permission from
them to distribute the audio as needed--it is just needed less. (Our
elementary Spanish is trying out the CD-ROM lab manuals but there have been
a lot of problems so they are reverting to paper).

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida