LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:52:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:13:33 -0400
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4821.3 Any labs using iMacs?

------------------
Thanks, Jennifer, for your response to my iMac question. I have a response to a question you also raised.

Jennifer Bates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is anyone currently using Apple's Network Assistant? Do instructors use the
> remote assistance features?

We've used Network Assistant (now v. 3.0) from the ANAT 2.0 package on a network of 3 labs, 54 Macs for
almost 3  years.  Our teacher stations are G3/233 and student stations PM 5260/100 (PPC 603).  For most
software distribution and workstation management chores it works very well.  Lately, however, we have had a
lot of trouble with the Screen Sharing feature, to the point where we cannot use it at all.  I'm still
researching a solution. Apple's TIL has not been terribly helpful though.  NA works much better over an
Ethernet (TCP/IP preferably) network.  In your Setup Preferences for the admin program, be sure to set
Screen Sharing to send only changes made by QuickDraw (as opposed to All Changes).

To answer your second question, since we don't have any other projection system, the screen sharing
function would be among the most valuable to teachers.  Without that, NA is used by teachers in class
mostly to send text messages to students, lock screens, or observe what applications students are in.

-John
John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph (617) 353-7957 fx (617) 353-6195
Lab:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/MLL
CTG:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/CTG