LLTI Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:37:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:41:41 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8051 Boosting lab attendance/Sanako

Hi, Sue.

I responded to a recent thread on language labs in general, with ideas
about how our lab gets used. The lab manual audio is mostly done out of
the physical lab, at home or in dorms, so that is not an issue for us.

Speaking tests are important and several courses use the lab for this,
as well as the local SPEAK testing (and now the Spanish state teacher's
cert. exam). The Sanako system does this particularly well.

Instructors like the idea of assigning recordings to students. Go to the
lab, record a speech/dialogue/interview with native speaker, and save it
to the shared drive, where the instructor can collect everything on one
CD. This function of course could be done by a tape lab or any voice
recorder + shared drive system. But it does make for a lot of walk-in
traffic.

The text synch function of Divace gets used in creating cloze exercises
from video clips or songs, or by students in the translation courses
getting a taste of subtitling. These are usually in-class exercises but
some of the translation students also use it for a final project.

Classes wanting to use the lab are many, to the extent that I would like
to be able to have another Sanako classroom. Language-lab functions like
pairing for conversation are enhanced the possibility of the shared
drive or web for serving complementary role-playing exercises to the
students or having them compare each other's work; teachers can develop
exercises which can be used by many sections and from year to year or
term to term.

Of course, it can be a lot of work for me! But it seems as though there
is always something new.

Judy

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.