LLTI Archives

December 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:11:25 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:         Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:47:56 -0500
>Subject: Re: #9527 captions and subtitles
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hi,

A few more subtitling software options - how applicable you will find them
depends on the details of your intended use:

The Windows Media Player that came with on Windows XP (you may have to
revert to an earlier version through the "Add/remove programs", as the feature

has been deprecated in recent updates) has a "Synchronized Lyrics" feature
that allows you to add subtitles and store them within the audio file, which
makes distribution on the LMS or intranet easier (Windows media format only,
and I have only ever used this for audio, but assume this works also for
video).  A training screencast is here:
http://plagwitz.blob.core.windows.net/content/subtitling-with-windows-media-
player-enhanced-tag-editor.wmv

If you have a Sanako language lab (I have done this both in Sanako Lab 300
and Study 1200), their media player supports subtitling - the feature is
primarily meant as a language learner exercise. Search the manuals of your
version of the Sanako software for more information.

If "easy subtitling" does not mean "minimum learning curve", but "maximum
productivity", consider Softel's Swift (which I supported for a translation
program, which at your institution may have licensed it also - otherwise not
cheap software, since it is an industry-standard for screen-translation). For
an
idea how powerful it is, see the 14 large settings dialogues here:
http://plagwitz1.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4FA3329905D7E1CE!1354.entry

Best,

--
Dr. Thomas Plagwitz