LLTI Archives

April 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:06:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:42:12 -0400
>Subject: Malayalam & Tamil software reviewers
>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear Colleagues

I have just received an offer to review CD-ROM programs for Malayalam and
Tamil.  If you have expertise in one of these languages and are interested
in doing a CALICO review I would be very happy to hear from you.

CALICO software evaluations are not just a matter of describing and testing
the operation of a program, they require a serious consideration of
underlying theoretical assumptions  and methodological framework.

As you may be aware, software review in CALICO is collaborative in nature.
Reviewers have two months to submit a first draft which, once it is of
publishable quality, is forwarded (anonymous reviewer) to the producer for
comments, clarifications, explanations, bug fixes, product enhancements,
etc.  Producers in turn have two months to reply and whatever they send back
to me by way of response is sent on to the reviewer for consideration of
incorporation in the final published version of the review. The reviewer, of
course, is the ultimate judge of  the weight to be accorded the producer's
comments.

Software reviews are first published in the on-line CALICO Review and then
in due course they appear in the printed CALICO Journal.

Hoping to hear from some Malayalam and Tamil experts very soon. Jack

--
Jack Burston, Ph.D.
CALICO Software Review Editor

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.